“We are born to be tragic in our fate
lyric in our feelings,
but comic in our behavior.”
– George Santayana
I am a work-in-progress funny person who is trying to write funny things about a world that hates human beings. Beyond that, I am a comedy writer and playwright.
I love writing stories centered on women, sisters, mothers, ghosts, families and human beings who try really hard to be their best selves and fail at it (I’m an optimist, I swear). I love stories that make me laugh so hard I pee a little and it’s not because I have a weak pelvic floor (ladies, you get it). I love comedies, the supernatural, the paranormal, and everything in between. I want see different worlds colliding on stage. I grew up on tv diet of “Are You Afraid of the Dark?”, “So Weird”, “X-Files”, “Fact or Fiction”, “Unsolved Mysteries” and all of Adam Sandler movies– you get the idea. I like the weird and the mysterious, plus Adam Sandler.
In college, I took my first solo performance playwriting class at UC Santa Barbara. This was when I learned I wanted to write plays. I learned writing plays helped me to unlock stories since I was that 9-year-old kid. These are now the themes found in everything I write. These are themes of growing up poor in a working class immigrant family, navigating the world as an Asian American person, and no matter how tragic the situation maybe, I can find resilience through laughter.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- 2021 MADlab Playwright, Moving Arts Theatre (2021)
- Finalist, Circle X Theatre Evolving Playwrights Group (2020)
- Finalist, Seven Devils Playwrights Conference (Grace and Janette Like White Guys, 2020)
- Diversity Scholarship (The Improv Space, 2017)
- The Paul Stephen Lim Playwriting Award (Kennedy Center, 2015)
- IRAM Scholarship (University of Iowa, 2014)
- Richard Maibaum Playwriting Award (University of Iowa, 2013)
- Iowa Arts Fellowship (University of Iowa, 2012)
- Dorothy & Sherrill C. Corwin Award (U.C. Santa Barbara, 2011)
- Robert Potter Playwriting Award (U.C. Santa Barbara, 2011)
- Spirit Award (U.C. Santa Barbara, 2011)
- STAINS [full-length]: Currently being developed with Moving Arts Theatre as part of 2021 MADlab Play Development.
- Grace and Janette Like White Guys (full-length): Finalist, Seven Devils Playwrights Conference
- Friendship Coma [one-act] Received a reading as part of Jolly Pig Project presents Memory: Reading Series at the Studio Lounge Theater in Los Angeles in 2018.
- Trich (full-length): Workshop production for University of Iowa ’s New Play Festival; directed by Mario El Caponi Mendoza (2015).
- Family Dinner (full-length): Received a Workshop Production for University of Iowa’s Gallery Series (2015), Kennedy Center’s The Paul Stephen Lim Asian American Playwriting Award(2015), was a quarter-finalist for Road Theater Company’s Summer Playwrights Festival (2016), and is a published Thesis for University of Iowa Press 2015 (2015).
- Life of the Experiment (full-length): Received a workshop production at the Iowa New Play Festival directed by David Freeman (2014).
- Monopoly (full-length): Received a student production for the University of Iowa’s Gallery series; directed by Ashley Pettit (2014).
- Koreans Eat Dog (full-length): Received a reading at the University of Iowa’s New Play Festival; directed by Tlaloc Rivas (2013).
I am currently a writer on the house sketch team GUTTER (Pack Theater) and former sketch writer for Thunderdog (Pack Theater) and Top Story! Weekly (ACME Comedy Theater). Written sketches for iO West’s Sunday Sketch Show, and written and performed sketch comedy for LA’s Scripted Comedy Festival in 2016.
Haagen-Yaz (digital short):
Featured on ComedyCake, Funny or Die, and WhoHaHa
“Which Fruit is Your Body Type” (live onstage)
“Manny the Male Babysitter” (live onstage)
writing samples available upon request.